Careers: Arts/Graphic Design schools?

I am currently planning on transferring to Columbia College Chicago and I've tried to look for reviews on their GD program but couldn't find any. Do you know if the program is any good? I don't know if the school you get your degree from is a big factor when it comes to hiring a person but I'd imagine that a person who went to RISD would have greater chances at getting the job than a person who went to an unknown school.

Thanks in advance

Dear Cris,
I cannot vouch for the GD program at Columbia College Chicago as I am not personally familiar with the school. However, I know that the choice of college doesn't matter as much later as you would expect. Some may look at the school name and form opinions, but most look at the fact that you do have a degree and instead focus on your experience and what you have learned with that degree.

If this is a school that you feel comfortable going to, that matches your financial needs, that fits your vibe, then it is a good place for you. I am a true believer that you can make any place a wonderful educational opportunity by how you use your resources. I personally went to a well-known school, but I don't think that school is singly responsible for my job choices. My hard work, my willingness to absorb everything that I was taught, and my choice to use my professors and school resources to their fullest are what has truly helped in the long run.

If you still want to learn more about your future college, talk to an admission representative and ask for guidance. Many schools have a network of students that you can connect with and ask questions. Maybe you can even email one of the instructors to get a better grasp on the programs and offerings.

Above all, don't panic; it will all be all right. I'm very happy you're paying attention to the decisions you make and making sure they are right for you.

Best of luck!

Careers: Arts

Gianina L.

I can answer questions concerning most traditional mediums such as acrylics, watercolor, colored pencils, collage/cut paper, graphite, charcoal, and pen and ink. I also have strong, advanced knowledge of Photoshop, Powerpoint and Publisher; and beginner to immediate level knowledge in Illustrator, Freehand, After Effects, and Flash. In addition, I can cover miscellaneous subjects such as portfolio preparation, applying to art schools, art school study skills, color theory, basic design and drawing principles, basic animation techniques, working on personal art styles and exploring new artistic techniques. Topics such as the detailed legal aspects of art, web programming and Flash action scripting do not fall under my area of expertise.

Experience in the Area
I graduated summa cum laude with a double BFA in Illustration and Computer Art (specializing in 2-dimensional animation) from the Savannah College of Art and Design, where as a student, I happily tutored fellow peers in all aspects of art and created numerous illustrations for the school newspaper. For the past several years, I have been illustrating seminar books, designing numerous graphics, and creating short animation sequences for use in video. In addition, I work as a private tutor and am co-director / co-owner of a company that focuses on and promotes the local music industry. I assist with all the day-to-day operations of this company as well as manage all art direction and design.

Savannah College of Art and Design
BFA Computer Art, Illustration
Summa Cum Laude
Dean's List, GPA 4.0

Induction into Alpha Pi Beta honor society for art and design, 2002
Outstanding Achievement in Computer Art, 2002
Outstanding Student for the academic year 2001-2002
Awarded "Most Dependable" for District, the student newspaper, 2002
Who's Who Among American Colleges and Universities, May 2001
Better Business Bureau Honesty in Advertising Essay Competition, Merit Award, November 1998
Mary Renee Whelan Scholarship, Savannah College of Art and Design

Exhibitions and Festivals:
Embodiement; Myths in Animal Form,, December 10 - January 10, 2005
SCAD Alumni Show, Stardust Café, Orlando, FL; December 2004
Finalist, International Juried Online Symbolist Art Show,, May 2004 - April 2005
Finalist, International Juried Online Symbolist Art Show,, May 2003 - April 2004
Senior Showcase, SCAD Pei Ling Chan Gallery, Savannah, GA; May 2002
2D or not 2D, SCAD Trustees Theatre, Savannah, GA; April 2002
Small Works, SCAD Exhibit A Gallery, Savannah, GA; November 7 - December 31, 2001; art was purchased
Magnanimata Animation Festival, May 1999

Quoted briefly in Animation World Magazine, "Predicting the Future of Futurama" (April 1999) and "Ed, Edd, n Eddy: A Unique Approach" (June 1999)