Careers: Arts/promoting

Hello, I write from Italy and I am the promoter of a cousin who is a painter, mainly of abstract subjects. As I know very little about the foreign market, I would like to know which are the style of paintings more sold abroad and where there are the best opportunities, particularly for abstract paintings. I speak and write English, French, German, Spanish, Swedish and now I am learning some elements of Japanese. We have no illusions to make big money, we would only like to sell some paintings at a reasonable price.
Best regards and nice Sunday

The most marketable paintings are still life, landscapes, seascapes, cityscapes......and down near the bottom of the list are abstract paintings.  BUT, this doesn't mean that abstracts don't sell, as they do.  In the U.S. the markets are generally the large cities....New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Washington D. C., Boston, Chicago, etc.

Where to might try the cost is low to place items for sale, and if successful, you might draw a market following.  It is most difficult to get paintings into art galleries....especially if you are not in the City where the gallery is located.

Wish I could be more encouraging, but this is the lay of the land [realistically speaking].

djv murphy

p.s. You might also put together a website for the artist....and email the address to galleries, etc.

Careers: Arts

DJ Murphy

Artist for more than 35 years...current art gallery owner, served on Arts Councils...have many contacts in the art world...can be resource for artists trying to get exhibited...common questions about pricing, submissions, insurance, etc. Long time artist, art gallery owner, consultant. If I don't know the answer to your question....I will tell you!!