Careers: Arts/Career in graphic design

Question
Hi,I'm Rohini from India. I'm currently in third year of my bachelor's course in i.t engineering. I want to do MFA in graphic design/animation from U.S. I read about the admission process, and am really confused as to how to manage making a decent portfolio. I mean, I'm doing engineering, and I paint and sketch as a hobby. But I really want to make a career out of it. Engineering doesn't interest me. So it's a constant dilemma as to what I should do and how I should prepare so I can get into a good university in the U.S. I would be really thankful if you could guide me regarding this. Also, I'm not quite sure if I should get into graphic design/animation or if I should opt for a course in painting or illustration. How do I find out?

Answer
Hello Rohini,
I apologize for the delay in response. The All Experts e-mail must have gone into my spam folder and I missed it! I appreciate your patience.

First, as to a portfolio, make sure you're clear on the requirements of the portfolio for each school you are applying to. Feel free to contact an admissions advisor to help answer questions in regards to how you should present your portfolio and how many pieces needed. Overall, a portfolio is simply a way of demonstrating your base artistic ability. An admissions portfolio usually shows a variety of media. For example, you can include some pencil drawings, some pen and ink drawings, an acrylic piece, a collage, etc. They are looking for your use of composition and balance and color and value. Do what you can and practice practice practice. Pick your very best pieces for this, and organize the portfolio in a way that makes sense. Always start and end with your strongest pieces.

Since you have an engineering background - have you worked with CAD or any design based engineering software? Something like a CAD rendering could be something you include in your portfolio. It would uniquely show your personal background and show how your design background is a little different from the next person.

As to your major as an MFA - I personally got my bachelor's in computer art/animation and illustration. I was able to balance computer use and fine arts for a well-rounded education. My current job uses mostly graphic design and illustration. Once you get the basics, both in software and media, you can grow professionally from then on. I would look into the type of jobs you would like to have one day, and let that lead your decision in choosing your base education.

And by the way, I came across many students when I was in art school who had never drawn before. Less art experience may set you behind a little in the beginning, but as long as you put hard work into your studies, that won't be an issue in the long run.

Best of luck! Hope you have an amazing experience getting your MFA.
Gianina

Careers: Arts

Gianina L.