Careers: Arts/Career options

Hi, I'm muskaan,and I've commercial art as one of my main stream subject. I want to know the career options which I can pursue after my 12th. It would be really kind of you to guide me, as i am really confused.

Hello Muskaan,
So many career options exist for art. The most common are graphic design and web design nowadays, but one can go in many different directions.

The first thing to decide is what you like working with the most - architecture, typography, painting, or any aspect of art that you enjoy. This might help you refine your search for careers.

Also, if you have any universities with art departments, go to their website and find the types of degrees they offer. This can give you a clue as to the type of careers that a degree in art would lead to.

I'm not familiar with the art schooling in India, but in America, we have many private art universities with many different degrees from animation, 3-D design, illustration to historical preservation. I went to the Savannah College of Art and Design, but we also have PRATT, Ringling School of Art and Design, Columbus College of Art and Design and many more.

Another way to learn about careers is to look at job listings. Even searching online for jobs in India (or wherever you want to live) with key words like "artist", "graphic", "art", and "design" will help you learn what is available around you. Make a list of three to five careers that you find interesting, and research those as possible options for you.

I wish you the absolute best!

Careers: Arts

Gianina L.

I can answer questions concerning most traditional mediums such as acrylics, watercolor, colored pencils, collage/cut paper, graphite, charcoal, and pen and ink. I also have strong, advanced knowledge of Photoshop, Powerpoint and Publisher; and beginner to immediate level knowledge in Illustrator, Freehand, After Effects, and Flash. In addition, I can cover miscellaneous subjects such as portfolio preparation, applying to art schools, art school study skills, color theory, basic design and drawing principles, basic animation techniques, working on personal art styles and exploring new artistic techniques. Topics such as the detailed legal aspects of art, web programming and Flash action scripting do not fall under my area of expertise.

Experience in the Area
I graduated summa cum laude with a double BFA in Illustration and Computer Art (specializing in 2-dimensional animation) from the Savannah College of Art and Design, where as a student, I happily tutored fellow peers in all aspects of art and created numerous illustrations for the school newspaper. For the past several years, I have been illustrating seminar books, designing numerous graphics, and creating short animation sequences for use in video. In addition, I work as a private tutor and am co-director / co-owner of a company that focuses on and promotes the local music industry. I assist with all the day-to-day operations of this company as well as manage all art direction and design.

Savannah College of Art and Design
BFA Computer Art, Illustration
Summa Cum Laude
Dean's List, GPA 4.0

Induction into Alpha Pi Beta honor society for art and design, 2002
Outstanding Achievement in Computer Art, 2002
Outstanding Student for the academic year 2001-2002
Awarded "Most Dependable" for District, the student newspaper, 2002
Who's Who Among American Colleges and Universities, May 2001
Better Business Bureau Honesty in Advertising Essay Competition, Merit Award, November 1998
Mary Renee Whelan Scholarship, Savannah College of Art and Design

Exhibitions and Festivals:
Embodiement; Myths in Animal Form,, December 10 - January 10, 2005
SCAD Alumni Show, Stardust Café, Orlando, FL; December 2004
Finalist, International Juried Online Symbolist Art Show,, May 2004 - April 2005
Finalist, International Juried Online Symbolist Art Show,, May 2003 - April 2004
Senior Showcase, SCAD Pei Ling Chan Gallery, Savannah, GA; May 2002
2D or not 2D, SCAD Trustees Theatre, Savannah, GA; April 2002
Small Works, SCAD Exhibit A Gallery, Savannah, GA; November 7 - December 31, 2001; art was purchased
Magnanimata Animation Festival, May 1999

Quoted briefly in Animation World Magazine, "Predicting the Future of Futurama" (April 1999) and "Ed, Edd, n Eddy: A Unique Approach" (June 1999)