Careers: Business/Career Advices

Question
Two years ago, I was offered a full-time job at X-company. I accepted the offer and worked there since then.

A week ago, I found another job and resigned on short notice because the new company wanted me to start immediately. I knew they wouldn't let me go easily so I lied to X company that I had to resign because I needed to take two months off to take care of a family emergency. My boss told me to contact her in two months because she really wants me to stay with the company and all that jazz. I promised her I would.

Two days ago, I saw a job posting for my job online (with the same tittle and responsibilities) but the salary is significant higher, 10k+ to be exact. I've always felt like I was underpaid and that was the main reason for me to seek new employment. But now, I am extremely upset because I know for sure that I was being taken advantage since I was young.

I will contact her in a few weeks to update her as promised. However, I know she's going to ask me to come back. I liked my job at X-company but I only left because of the salary. My current job is really demanding and stressful, I somewhat prefer the work environment at X-company. What should I do ? Should I bring up the fact that I saw the job poster and demand for more since I was being underpaid severely for almost 2 years? Please advise.

Answer
Hi Alice,

Before making any decision, I would recommend praying about it.

I hope I am understanding your situation here.  You quit your first job and lied to your boss about it, and now you're looking for a new one.  If that is the case, then you need to tell your former boss the truth while looking for a new position with the company you described above.  No, since you already quit with your former boss, you can tell her that you were underpaid and overworked, but do so discreetly.  This will help with keeping the reaction to a minimum.  

Please let me know if you need anything else.  I hope this helps.  Blessings.

Careers: Business

Dr. Elizabeth Mattke