Careers: EMT/Emergency Medical Technicians/Gun Shot To Shoulder 1-11-13

flesh shoulder shot
flesh shoulder shot  
I was in bed sleeping when an automatic assault rifle (AR-15) bullet came through the wall. I went to the ER I did not have medical insurance and I received minimum treatment with only a cover up of gauze sponges. I have little debree from the wall in my should(can't be removed doctor says) its been about four days since. I can't lift my arm.when I do I instantly feel bone rubbing on bone. This was a flush shot a bullet entry and exit wound and is only about .5 inch deep on my upper shoulder.  I will attach an image.

What should in be doing to help heal this wound? (Ice pack?)
How long should the healing take?(medication: Ibuprofen 600mg)
What should I watch out for to ad void infections or prolong the healing process?

Hello Oliver,

It looks like you were lucky. from what you described it was a minor wound. The doctor/ hospital who saw you should have given you some kind of discharge instructions about how to care for your wound and when you should contact the hospital for additional treatment. generally speaking, keep the wound clean, Ibuprofen is a good choice for pain and inflammation. cold packs probably aren't of much help at this point in healing (they are more useful for deep tissue injuries directly after the injury).

Good luck Oliver, heal quick.

Careers: EMT/Emergency Medical Technicians

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, CC-EMTP Course offered through UMBC, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.