Careers: EMT/Emergency Medical Technicians/What would the proper EMT/Paramedic procedure be in this situation?

I am writing a short film that includes a scene with police and paramedics/medical personnel and I want to get it as accurate as possible.

What would the medical on-site procedure be for this situation?

The police have entered the room of reported gunfire, they go in first and find one man clearly dead face down on the floor. There is another man leaning against the wall looking very pale but conscious and he has a bullet wound in his upper arm/shoulder. There is a young woman sitting close to him, appears to be uninjured.

The police have established the room to be safe and the paramedics are brought in. What happens next procedurally (preferably as detailed as you can be)? What would the paramedics ask/say to the woman and the injured man?

Thank you so much in advance!

Hello Jackie,

Here's how the scene would likely be played out:

1st, if the woman in the room is uninjured she would likely be with the police (in the room or out in the hall out of the immediate scene). The police may ask her some info that EMS could use as well.

The EMS crew (an EMT Basic and a Paramedic) enter with the gurney, strapped to the gurney is oxygen, a heart monitor, a "jump bag" (containing bandaging material, a BVM (bag-valve-mask) if they have to ventilate the patient, an advanced airway kit (containing endotracheal tubes and items for a surgical airway).

the paramedic assesses the patient, airway first, then breathing rate, quality/ depth. the BLS tech applies oxygen by mask (non-rebreather mask). the BLS tech applies the automatic blood pressure cuff from the monitor to the uninjured arm and a oximeter probe on a finger. The paramedic asks the patient his name and date of birth (the police may have already removed the person's wallet for ID and would share this with EMS. he would ask about medications allergies, medical history

ex: "Sir.. whats your name?.... what's your date of birth?  any medical problems?- high blood pressure?-diabetes?-heart attack?-stroke?-kidney or liver problems?- ever have any major surgeries of the head, chest, or abdomen?.... any allergies to medication?-is there any medicines you can't take?..."

They would assiste the patient to stand or lift him to the gurney is he cannot. he is strapped to the gurney, the heart monitor is placed behind the head of the gurney and an EKG (ECG) is attached and a paper recording is made. EMS will ask the police if they are all set with the shooting victim? (if the circumstances of the shooting aren't clear they may either go with the patient or follow behind the ambulance, possibly hand cuff him to the gurney if there is any doubt he may be a bad guy?)IV(s) are done on the way to the hospital, the goal is a less than 10 minute scene time with trauma patients.

In route to the hospital 2 IV's are placed, one in each arm opposite the elbow (16 gauge or 14 gauge) "bilateral 16GA IV's in the AC" normal saline is run at 150 ml/Hr from 2, 1000ml IV bags. the hospital they are transporting to is called to notify the med staff of a trauma coming in so trauma surgeons, X Ray, and blood bank can be ready.

and that's about it... pretty quick.

Hope that helps,

Careers: EMT/Emergency Medical Technicians

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, CC-EMTP Course offered through UMBC, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.