Careers: EMT/Emergency Medical Technicians/ankle

Question
Question. My 14 y/o suffered an ankle injury during his soccer game. There was immediate swelling and he was unable to bear weight. He took him to be seen within 30 minutes. The x-ray come back as “soft tissue swelling” but no fractures seen. We elevated, iced, rested, ect. Four days later I took him to see an orthopedist. She did an exam and she thought the ankle was broke or fractured, as well. She did an x-ray, spent a significant amount of time reviewing it on the spot and could not find and breaks or fractures. She sent us home in an air boot and stated he could walk in this boot if tolerable. He has little to no pain, except upon palpitation of the ankle. The ankle does remain a bit swollen but virtually no bruising ( unlike mine in the past).  We are to return in 14 days for a follow up and additional x-ray. The ortho stated she wasn’t going to do a MRI because, she would treat a severe sprain and hairline fractures the same anyway. My question is this. After two X-rays, one read by an orthopedist, wouldn’t a fracture be visible? Sorry to be long winded.

Answer
Hello Slayde,

Sometimes an initial X-ray can be hard to read because of tissue swelling. There is also a variable of how the X-ray was taken, too light, too dark, movement... I suppose additional X-rays after walking on the injury could show new findings as muscle use and weight pull on possible fractures. I'm not an expert on X-rays so I can't really tell you more. I hope this answer helped. I hope he gets better soon.

Marc

Careers: EMT/Emergency Medical Technicians

Marcus LaBarbera