Careers: Flying & Aviation/Aviation Careers

I currently have two months to go before I finish my bachelor degree in Aviation Technology. I prevously have an Associate degree in Aviation Administration ( Air Traffic Control) but for some reason I never got the call. My question is I think I want to work on the Operations side of Aviation. Can I do that with those degrees? Do I need additional certifications?

Thank you

Thank you for your question.

If I understand this correctly, you are defining the "operations" side of aviation to mean that you are interested in piloting aircraft?  If that is the case, then you can absolutely pursue a career as a pilot with these degrees.  As a matter of fact, most reputable companies will require a bachelor's degree (or an associate degree at minimum) in order to fly.  The interesting twist to this is that it really does not matter what you have your degree in.  Although, it will invariably benefit you to have a specialized degree such as Aviation Technology.  It may not necessarily get your resume put on the top of the pile, but it will help you in your understanding of the system and will give you a step up on other students who are pursuing the same field.

"Do I need additional certifications?"

If you want to be a pilot, yes, you will need multiple additional certifications.  To earn money as a pilot you would need to earn a commercial pilot's license, and depending on what type of aircraft you wish to fly, you may need to obtain additional class ratings or type ratings.  I know you have probably already spent a large sum of money on your aviation degree's.  Working towards a commercial license is extremely expensive, unfortunately.  Realistically, plan of spending a minimum of 30,000 dollars (depending on if you have access to an airplane to build time).  It also involves dedicating large amounts of time to study and flight training.  If money and time permits, you could start working on your private license while attending college, and work on your advanced ratings after graduation.  That is where you must start, and fly as much as possible in order to stay in practice.  Please review the FAA's website ( and check out the License's and Certificates section, and Airmen Certification.  This will give you a quick overview on how to get started, and answers most FAQ's.  

I hope that I went in the right direction for the information I provided in this answer.  If there are other questions that I did not answer or you need to clarify a question, please feel free to ask.  Good luck on your endeavors!

Careers: Flying & Aviation

Dan Stanchek

I can answer questions about starting a career as a professional pilot, focused on the corporate side of aviation. I welcome any questions regarding how to start from scratch, the costs that are involved in training from 0 experience to commercial licenses, the time frame to expect in earning your ratings, resources to start your training, and any advice on getting your foot in the door once earning your commercial license. I can also give perspectives from flying in the corporate world. **Please note that I offer advice on flying, and I cannot answer questions in the areas corporate business or administration**

I am a contract corporate pilot.

Commercial Pilot single and multiengine land. Instrument rated. Type rated in Cessna Citation 500.