Careers: Flying & Aviation/MASTERS' COURSE IN AVIATION

Dear Sir,

I am an Aerospace Engineering graduate who has worked as an non-certifying technican for about 1 and half years, during which time I also worked as a planner. I am currently working as a planning and technical records officer with an airline and would very much like to progress in this field: planning engineering and reliability monitoring in the aviation industry.

I would like to know what the appropriate action would be and if a Masters degree will be helpful, what masters degree would you advise I pursue. I would really love to gain more knowledge in reliability centred preventive maintenance, maintenance programme development, maintenance planning and forecasting, etc.

Thank you very much.

Dear NAA:

It is nice to hear from you, I will try to assist.

The fact that you have an aviation/aerospace background is a good start.  That will give you some understanding of the aviation industry and the type of knowledge that you need to succeed in this industry.

As far as masters degree programs you might pursue, check out Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida, USA for a Masters in Logistics and Supply Chain Management.  They also offer a Masters in Aviation Management which touches on logistics and supply chain management.

In addition, Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, OK, offers a logistics option in its aviation masters program.

I am not aware of such programs in other nations.

I wish you the best in your search for a degree that meets your needs and intersts.

David A. NewMyer

Careers: Flying & Aviation

David A. NewMyer

Can advise people thinking about beginning and aviation career and espcially those thinking about an aviation university program. Can also help with aviation scholarship questions. I am particularly strong in questions related to starting a flight career, choosing a university flight or aviation management program, aviation internships and aviation scholarships. Also, I can assist with questions about airport management and planning careers and oveall aviation industry employment questions.

Prepared In addition to aviation education, I work at a major university, I have worked as an airport planner preparing airport system plans, airport master plan and environmental assessment reports for the Chicago area in general and for several individual Illinois airports.