Careers: Flying & Aviation/Master Degree in aviation

Question
QUESTION: Dear sir,

First of all I hope you doing well sir. Currently, I'm studying BS in aviation management with flight and expecting to graduate in summer 2013. By graduation I will have multi engine commercial license. I'm planning to do master something related to aviation, so far I'm confused wither to continue in aviation management and get MBA in aviation management or get master in aviation safety. Sometime I think about airport management and devolpment too! Also on more think, is degree with thesis herder for international student?
So please help me information and suggesting to make my decision.

I'm looking forward hearing from you.

Regards
Abdul

ANSWER: Hi, Abdul:

It is nice to hear from you and I will try to assist you with finding an answer to your quesitons.

First of all, in your question above, I see that you are taking both flight training and aviation management.  The fact that you have both a technical background (in flight training) and a business/people/management background in aviation is an advantage to you in your job search.  But, it also raises a question:  Which aspect of aviation have you enjoyed most:  Flight or Aviation Management?  Or, a combination?

What I am getting at is that the answer to the above question or questions is key to your decision on which masters degree to pursue.  For example, if you are interested in a combination of flight and aviation management, you might consider a master's degree in aviation safety.  If, on the other hand, you are more interested in the management side of aviation, then, you might consider an MBA in Aviation Management.  Or, if you are interested in airport management or planning, then, you might consider a master's degree in airport management.  Again, your choice should depend on what you are interested in, as well as your assessment of the career field that the master's degree represents.  This assessment of the career field might be helped by the universities that you are applying to for admission.  These schools should have placement data and also they might have a career center or a university placement center which can tell you more about how graduates from their various programs do upon graduation.  So, ask lots of questions about every program to which you apply for admission.

As far as the programs with a thesis requirement:  The key thing is whether or not you like to do research and write up/explain the results of that research.  if you like that kind of work, then, the thesis requirement should not be a major barrier.  If, however, you do not like to write and do research, I would say that you might want to avoid a thesis requirement.

Best of luck to you in seeking out a master's degree program that fits your needs!

If you have further questions, as another question of me via AllExperts.com.

Sincerely,

David A. NewMyer

QUESTION: Dear David,

Thank you so much for your information, regarding the aviation industry what you think better for future job opportunity Aviation safety or MBA in aviation management?

Answer
Hi, Abdul:

Again, this depends quite a bit on you and what your interests are.  It is, in general true that, if you are excited and passionate about a particular discipline or subject matter or job, you will do better in it than in a discipline or subject matter or job that you do not care about.  So, the first order of business is to do a "self assessment" and figure out which subject area or discipline, aviation safety (which might require some aspect of aviation flight knowledge in addition to management knowledge) OR aviation management, which is more about management of people, of money and of other resources such as aircraft, might be of most interest to you.

You also might want to think about whether you intend to fly for a career, or, not.  If you do fly, it might be that aviation safety is a better choice for promotability as a pilot into such postions as a Line Check Airman, or an Assistant Chief Pilot, or a Fleet Training Captain, or something similar.

On the other hand, if you are thinking you want to go in a management direction in aviation, then, the aviation MBA might be a better course.

Right now, with the number of aircraft that Boeing and Airbus expect to build, not to mention the growth in corporate aviation and general aviation, I am thinking that the next ten years of aviation (globally) will be one of growth in job opportunities.  Your best bet is to focus your efforts at gaining aviation job-specific knowledge in YOUR area(s) of interest as soon as possible to be ready for the hiring that is going to happen.

Best wishes,

Dave NewMyer

Careers: Flying & Aviation

David A. NewMyer