Careers: Flying & Aviation/internship USA

Question
Dear Mr.NewMyer,

First of all, thank you for offering your assistance through this website, it is very much appreciated.

After a few years in ground and flying positions in the airline industry and more recently in the hotel business, I decided to take a year off. I am currently doing a one-year Masters in Air Transport Management at Westminster University in London. Although it is not mandatory, I would like to do an (summer or right after graduation) internship at an airline, airport or constructor to gain valuable experience and it could also be a step stone to a permanent job.

I have been searching the net and found many interesting opportunities, although most American ones are open to US citizens only. I am open to go anywhere really but would prefer the US. Can you recommend any big player in the American aviation who takes on non-US residents? If you know of any other exciting opportunities, I would of course like to hear about that as well.

Thank you in advance and best regards
Enzo RICCIO

Answer
HI, Enzo:

It is nice to hear from you, I will try to assist.

I have a couple of suggestions for you in terms of larger US aviation employers who might take on an intern from another nation.  As you might guess, the employers are generally those that are global in nature and/or have a sizeable intern program and, due to their size and global nature, are interested in applicants from other nations.

First of all, I know for a fact that larger US airlines such as United and American have taken on interns from other nations in the past from our university.  You will need to go to their websites (www.united.com and www.aa.com) to search for internships that might apply to your particular background.   Right now, United has a more extensive list of internships available than American (since American just emerged from bankruptcy).  The United intern announcements indicate that you must be "legally authorized to work in the USA without sponsorship."  United has listings for such internships as Intern-corporate insurance; Intern--transaction Tax; Intern-Engineering; and Intern-Flight Operations.  These are all for summer, 2014.

Another airline with an extensive intern program is Southwest Airlines.  Their Summer internships are filled but they are going to post their Fall Internships in the mid-February timeframe.  Their intern program is called "No Limits" and it includes internships in a wide variety of departments of the airline.  All are paid.  All are at their headquarters in Dallas.

Finally, some larger U. S. airports will hire non-US citizens as interns.  An example from the past is Miami International Airport.  You might check the website of the American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE) at www.aaae.org for more information on internships (they have a list of some of the airports that offer internships---it is on their membership page under "information for students.").  AAAE also publishes an on-line newsletter that they send out via email twice a week for members.  You can join AAAE as a student member and receive that newsletter.  The newsletter has a "positions open" section that will list some of those internships as they become available.

I hope this helps you.

Best wishes to you,

David A. NewMyer

Careers: Flying & Aviation

David A. NewMyer