Careers: Flying & Aviation/subjects needed for aviation scholarships

Question
I am a highschool student. It's time to choose subjects and I don't know which subjects to take and I am hoping to take up piloting. I am a student in Kenya.

Answer
Dear Zehur:

I am sorry that I did not see your question before this.  I apologize for the delay.

Key subjects that you can take that would related to an aviation flight, or piloting, career, would include:

1.  Mathematics:  Key because of the fact that pilots do numerous calculations throughout any flight related to fuel needed on each trip; navigating the route that they will take; and overall flight planning.

2.  Physics:  This subject is necessary to understand the basic principles of flight;

3.  Oral and written communication:  These academic subjects are critical because, for oral communications, these are key to the air traffic control system; and, for written communication, as a pilot you are making logbook entries (maintenance and flight logs) that report on the overall status of each flight including any discrepancies.  Being able to communicate clearly and concisely is key to that process.

4.  Meteorology:  Understand the basic principles of weather and how weather forms and changes is crucial to safe flying; and,

5.  Geography:  Because aviation has become a global industry, it is important for each pilot to understand world geography including topography, basic river systems and the like.  Many times, geography and meteorology are taught in one unit.

I hope that his list helps.

With all best wishes to you,

David A. NewMyer, Professor (Emeritus)
Southern Illinois University Carbondale  

Careers: Flying & Aviation

David A. NewMyer