Careers: Geology/GEOPHYSICs

Question
QUESTION: sir,I have done b.sc. in physical science from DU and want to know about the carrier in geophysics.?
is it good to do geophysics M.Sc???
i am just a average student.not so good.i love to study physics but do not get good marks.i am just average..
pls tell me about its scope??
i am waiting for your reply..

ANSWER: I refused to reply to this question earlier, I remember.
As you insist, I have to say the following inconvenient truth, which is applicable to many not-so-good students:

1. Physics is an excellent subject; but it is the toughest subject on earth, next to none.
2. All the engineering subjects are based on physics - I repeat "All".
3. Many of the other science subjects have been developed using various components of Physics.
4. Loving physics is one thing; but solving problems (both physical and numerical) using principles of physics requires long practices and utmost brilliance.
5. It shall be very difficult for you to complete M. Sc. in Geophysics.
6. You can think of doing a PG course in Management; you have to prepare yourself to crack MBA (or equivalent) entrance tests. But that is a process which requires perseverance, not much brillance.

Advice : Dont go for geophysics. Find alternative like MBA, M. Sc in Environmental Sc., MCA, etc. Do a bit research a bit and find your choice. My expertise is limited in the field of Geology only. Thanks and regards. Amit  

QUESTION: Sir,i am thankful to you that you replied me..but sir i want to know about its scope too.because i hv already filled the form of its entrance test..and sir as i have done b.sc. in physical science (general) then according  to you m not capable of doing this course..please help me in finding good to me..:(

Answer
I am career guide for GEOLOGY not for Geophysics.Still, May I say that Geology with Physics background in UG, is better than general physical science in UG for a PG course in Geophysics.

You may sit for the entrance test, and get a chance to do M.Sc in geophysics; but completing the course (from a good institute, where there will be lots of Physics and good amount of Geology) may be difficult.
After completing also, job opportunity is rather limited, when compared to Geology.

For you my advice stands :  Dont go for geophysics. Find alternative like MBA, M. Sc in Environmental Sc., MCA, etc. Do a bit research a bit and find your choice. My expertise is limited in the field of Geology only. Thanks and regards.

As I am career guide for GEOLOGY and not for Geophysics, I shall not be able to answer any further question of yours due to my own limitations. Please forgive.

Thanks and regards.

Amit  

Careers: Geology

Amit Roy Chowdhury