Careers: Geology/Geophysics

Question
Dear Mr. Patton,

I'm an Electrical Engineer student, and I'm thinking on doing a Geophysics specialization after. I want to ask you if this is a reasonable choice, and if I will find opportunities in the area, being an engineer and not a geologist.

Thank you.

Answer
There are lots of different areas of Geophysics.  I have a geophysicist working for me that was a mathmatics major.

Some geophysicists do interpretation, where knowledge of geologic principles would be a benifit.  Others do processing where a mathematics background would play dividends.  I am sure that there is a niche where electrical engineering would come in handy like on the design of seismic data acqusition equipment and signal processing and the like.  I worked for Schlumberger and I know that they have a research facility in Sugar Land Texas, south of Houston where they do that kind of research.

You might also consider design of down hole tools for logging.  Right now, with the huge explosion in fracking and logging while drilling (LWD) that is used to guide the directional drilling, there is probably a lot of opportunities.  That would more correctly fall under the specialty called petrophysics: the measurement of the physical properties of the rocks in the well during or just after the drilling of the well.

Careers: Geology

Keith Patton