Careers: Geology/Careers in Oil & Gas Industry

Question
Hello Sir,

I have completed BSc(Hons) in Geology from University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. I am going to start MS with specialization in Sedimentology in Bowling Green State University,USA from this fall. After completing my MS I want to start my career in Oil and Gas industry.Will my credential enough for this?
I also want to know what steps I should follow to be an expert professional in Oil & Gas Industry in future?

Answer
Dear  Mohimanul Sir
Although the University mentioned in your question is not a top notch university of USA, there is no harm in completing the basic MS degree from there.
Oil & Gas industry is in a bad shape now as there is huge fall in oil price, globally. Therefore, i would tell you to focus in "Geology" as the subject on the whole rather than targeting one particular industry (which is called "upstream oil industry" or E&P industry, E for exploration and P for Production).
In case you become a qualified sedimentologist, you should grow as a professional sedimentologist by enrolling in a PhD programme in any ofet a the top university of North America.
By that time, if the industry turns around, you will get a chance to work in that indistry, as a research professional or as an industrial expert.As you are just a graduate your journey ahead is long.
All the bests.
Bhalo thakben.
Amit

Careers: Geology

Amit Roy Chowdhury