Careers: Geology/geological equipment Sale Service job

dear sir,
         i am graduate in geology,i got offer in sale service in geological equipment.
sir tell is it better for me in future or not?
what should i do now?
internee geologist

To be honest, not everyone who graduates with a degree in geoscience is going to get a great job or even get a job.

Finding a high paying job is a combination of factors.

One factor is whether the student studied the right courses.  Not all courses lead to viable employment opportunities.  For instance, economic geology, its great to study, but there are very few jobs in mining these days.  So economic geology, mining and hard rock geology do not lead to many employment opportunities.

Second is how well the student does in class.  Did the student do well or mediocre?  Did they actually learn the subject matter?

Third is how well you can actually use the knowledge you learned in solving problems in the real world.  It is one thing to pass a test.  It is another to actually be able to solve real world problems with the knowledge you have learned.  For instance.  In law school they say that the information you learn about the principles of law are your tools.  If you learn them that is just another tool in your tool box.  To learn how to APPLY them is quite another thing.  That is why you are taught how to apply them in each class by taking the facts of a case and applying the principles to them to come up with a proposed solution that an attorney would take into court.

In the study of geology, I recall only doing that once in four years of undergraduate study.  At the end of sedimentary petrology we were given an exercise where we had a number of wells, we had to purchase data, paleonotological data, lithology data, etc from a budget and then produce structure and faces map, determine the depositional environment and work up a justification on why we thought the structure we defined might be productive for oil and gas.

The class loved it because it was the first and last time in school we got to apply all those tools we had but had never got a chance to apply except in cut and dried problems on an exam.

There was nor real right answer just like in the real world.

Later in graduate school you have a greater opportunity to apply your skills to problem solving.  That is the difference between a BS and MS graduate.  An MS has learned how to research and apply their skills to problem solving.

That is why they get paid more and why most companies want an MS and not a BS.  A BS is a technical level job.  You do grunt work.

The last thing is how well you can sell yourself in an interview.  An interview is the mother of all final exams.  It is the exam you have been working to for four years.  You should study the company, the person who is interviewing you like you would if you were doing a final exam.
Look them up on line, on Facebook, find our what things the interviewer is interested in. Have they published papers on it?  If yes, read them.  FB will tell you what is important to them.  Family?  Hobbies...all these things can be useful in an interview to connect with the person so that you are not just a face and a resume.  Do they have pictures in their office?  Of what?  That tells you that its important to them, get them to talk about them.  That makes a connection.

If you did your homework  you know all about the job, so how do the job requirements match up with your skills?  You should sell yourself and your skills to the job requirements.  A salesman would not sell you a truck if you said you wanted a car.  They would not try to sell you a slow car if you said you wanted a sports car.  So make sure that you emphasize the skills and qualities you have to what the company is looking for, not something they are not.

Your resume should be customized for each job you apply to for the same reason.  You do not lie, but you can reorder your skills so that the ones that match the job description are at the front...managers have to read lots of resumes and they don't read very far if they do not see what they want in the first paragraph or two.   So make sure your skills are listed in your Objective statement.  It should say that you are looking for the job you are applying for, for example.  The job is in exploration for petroleum, you should say  My career objective is for a position in petroleum exploration where I can utilize the skills I possess in: well log interpretation, seismic interpretation, reservoir analysis, reserve get the idea, so in one paragraph I tell them I am looking for the same kind of job they are offering and that I have the following skills.....

In your case, I do not know what you career aspirations are.  Going into sales might be premature, if you have not seen what other opportunities you might have.  Sales can be a grind especially if it is commission based.  Will you get a base salary?  How much of your pay is based on a percentage commission of your sales?  Some people like that since they have control of how much they make, others do not like the uncertainty of not knowing how much money they will be getting each paycheck.

I have co workers who love sales, others like myself do not.

I guess the bottom line is whether you see yourself doing sales the rest of your career?  If you only earn a BS it might be a good opportunity, if there are not a lot of other job opportunities out there for you.  Do some homework and see what else might be available and compare the pay, the amount of time you are might be out in the jungle or doing 12 hours on and 12 hours off on a rig in the middle of no where, or walking kilometer after kilometer collecting samples for a mining company.

I see a lot of people with BS degrees doing sales.  That is because you know enough of the technical jargon and know the science so you can speak to the customer on their level and can sell to their needs.  

Careers: Geology

Keith Patton

Career and educational options open for fledgling geoscience students. What courses you should take to prepare for the current job market.

24 years experience in Petroleum, Environmental Consulting and geological and geophysical computer software development.

Registered Geologist in Texas
Certified mapping scientitst in RS