Careers: Geology/career

Question
Sir, i am BS Geology student. I want to know that BS Geology is enough education for oil and gas exploration? i mean that only experience is necessary or also further theoretical education?
Wasim Khan.

Answer
A BS degree is considered a geotechnical degree.  Such jobs as mudlogging, and field sample collection are open to you.

Most companies in both environmental and oil and gas require a MS degree.  The reason being is that you possess the knowledge, but without thesis research or some other sort of independent research, they feel that you do not have the problem solving skills needed to work independently.

For instance, if I were to hire you and set you at a desk and tell you okay, now find me some places where I can send a rig to find oil, could you?

Would you know where to begin?  What data to purchase, what the first steps were once you got the data?

That shows the problem.

So doing research under a thesis advisor as a mentor, gives you additional knowledge on how to use all the geological knowledge that you learned in Undergraduate school.

Keith

Careers: Geology

Keith Patton