Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Army reserve and civilian doctors

QUESTION: After nearly 10 hours if testing I was diagnosed with ADHD at age 25. I was prescribed adderall and have seen tremendous improvements at my civilian job and in my life ad a whole. Immediately I informed my chain of command of my Rx. At first it was ok until this past drill where I was told by the medic Msgt. that script or not usarc does not allow any d-amphetamines and that I would be held accountable should I test positive.

This is really upsetting, even with a legal script that has improved my life in leaps and bounds. Is this accurate? And what would the consequences be if I were drug tested? Should I discontinue my medication?

ANSWER: Hi Justin,

First, let me apologize for not replying sooner. The person who was supposed to answer was on vacation, and I didn`t see it until now.

Are you saying you`re currently in the Reserves? If so, you cannot be in the military with ADHD, if on medication. Don`t discontinue the medication, you need it. Speak to a doctor, and your chain of command about this situation.

Please respond with a follow up question with a little more information.

QUESTION: Thanks for your response, sorry I wasn't clear on my question I was a little frazzled at the time.

To simplify, yes I am currently serving in the army reserves. Only after my last deployment to Afghanistan did I discover I had ADHD. Since that time I have been taking prescription AmPhetamine salts ( adderall).

My CoC never had a problem with that until recently when they started putting a battle roster together. I was told that I needed to stop taking my prescribed medication or face UCMJ.

My question remains do I need to stop taking my meds?

I look forward to you help, thanks!

This medication helps a medical condition (Yes, I completely understand that this is not a medical condition as most think, but technically, it IS a medical condition). Do NOT stop taking it. It`s helped you, and it`s been prescribed to you by a doctor who knows what he`s doing. The best advise I can give to you is to talk to your doctor, get some more information from your CoC, and talk to a lawyer (JAG is your best bet) about this. They can`t MAKE you stop it, since it`s helping you. What will happen, I don`t really know. Sorry I couldn`t help more, but it`s the best I can do.  

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

I can answer any type of questions regarding the military, but more specifically, Marines, Army, and Navy. The Air Force and Coast Guard are subjects I can answer questions about, but my knowledge is rather limited in those fields. I can answer questions regarding history of, rank, structure, etc. I can also answer questions regarding any of the service academies (West Point, Naval Academy, and Air Force Academy, specifically), and Naval ROTC, Naval ROTC-Marine Option, and Army ROTC.

Much research regarding the military, and personal experiences with military. Talking to those in their respective branches has made me even more knowledgeable in the field of military for the branches I didn`t know much about before. Many interviews for research papers and such as well.

Current student.