Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/What Would the US Coast Guard Do

Question
QUESTION: What would the US coast guard do, when they get a radio call from a pilot in an airplane that spotted a tidal wave (tsunami) and he gives the location in the Atlantic Ocean, less than 100 miles of the coast of the United States?

ANSWER: Not to sound cliche but the same thing everyone else would probably do...panic.  There would be frantic notifications, actions to protect Coast Guard vessels and efforts to inform the public.  The chances of a tsunami occurring without advance knowledge are very small given the collection of NOAA weather buoys in the Atlantic, Aircraft and vessel traffic.

R/

LCDR John M. Fiorentine USCG

QUESTION: Why is this the case? I know that a tidal wave (tsunami) is very rare in the Atlantic Ocean, and is more common in the pacific Ocean.

Answer
I would offer a few reasons:

1. Anecdotally seismic activity is more prevalent in Pacific than Atlantic.
2. Distances are smaller in the Atlantic than the Pacific...not as much fetch for the wave to build.
3. Many more reporting sources in the Atlantic than the Pacific.

Those are three that came to mind.

R/

LCDR John M. Fiorentine USCG

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John Fiorentine