Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Does the US coast guard need permission

Does the US coast guard need permission in advance from the Canadian government, to enter Canadian waters to respond to a mayday call? The airplane that issued the mayday call was in contact with US air control but in Canadian airspace.

What would happen if the airplane were in Mexican airspace?  I know that US government and military aircraft cannot legal under Mexican airspace under Mexican law, but Canada is probably more tolerant than Mexico.

International law has provisions for "assistance entry" whereby a vessel may violate the territorial seas of another to render assistance to mariners in distress.  In both the Canadian and the Mexican example you offer the responding aircraft would report the mayday call back to the controlling Coast Guard Command Center.  That command center would pass on the requisite information to there foreign counterpart.  A determination would be made in consultation with that foreign command center as to the response.  For example the Aircraft may remain on scene and overhead of the vessel in distress until a Canadian or Mexican vessel rendered assistance.

LCDR John M. Fiorentine USCG

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John Fiorentine

Active Duty Coast Guard Lieutenant Commander. My specialties are opertations afloat and operations ashore; three afloat tours and three ashore tour under my belt including command afloat and navy exchange. My staff assignments have been with Officer Personnel Management as a Career Counselor, White House Military Office as a Social Aide, and at the Office of Law Enforcement within CG Headquarters as a program analyst. I can answer questions related to the Coast Guard, the assignment process, officer specialties, OCONUS duty, afloat and ashore operations. I can also answer questions related to the White House Social Aide Program.

WMEC Deck Watch Officer Portsmouth VA; DD Combat Info Center Officer Yokosuka Japan (Navy Exchange); WPB Commanding Officer San Juan PR; Enforcement Div Sector San Juan PR; Career Counselor (OPM-4); Law Enforcement Program Analyst (CG-MLE); Command Center Chief Sector San Juan PR

USCGA Alumni Association, OutServe, Society of White House Military Aides.

B.S. in Government from the US Coast Guard Academy; M.S.A in Leadership from Central Michigan University

CG Commendation Medal, USN Achievement Medal, CG Achievement Medal, CG Commandant Letter of Commendation