Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/What would the US Coast Guard do if they got a Radio Call from a sinking boat?

What would the US coast guard do, when they get a radio call for boat sinking?  The person gives the location, but this is in Bahamian, Canadian, Cuban, or Mexican waters, but the location is less than 100 miles of the US coast.

So the US Coast Guard overhears a mayday call from a vessel taking on water in the territorial seas (12 Nautical Miles) from another nation but is within 100 Nautical Miles from the US.  The fact that a search and rescue case is within 100 Nautical Miles is somewhat irrelevant.  100 Nautical Miles makes the Exclusive Economic Zone (think fish and natural resources) and has nothing to do with search and rescue operations.  There are agreements in place between the Coast Guard and those adjoining nations that detail who has primary search and rescue responsibility in those particular cases.  In short, per the established policy wither the Coast Guard would respond or the other nation.

LCDR John M. Fiorentine USCG

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John Fiorentine

Active Duty Coast Guard Lieutenant Commander. My specialties are opertations afloat and operations ashore; three afloat tours and three ashore tour under my belt including command afloat and navy exchange. My staff assignments have been with Officer Personnel Management as a Career Counselor, White House Military Office as a Social Aide, and at the Office of Law Enforcement within CG Headquarters as a program analyst. I can answer questions related to the Coast Guard, the assignment process, officer specialties, OCONUS duty, afloat and ashore operations. I can also answer questions related to the White House Social Aide Program.

WMEC Deck Watch Officer Portsmouth VA; DD Combat Info Center Officer Yokosuka Japan (Navy Exchange); WPB Commanding Officer San Juan PR; Enforcement Div Sector San Juan PR; Career Counselor (OPM-4); Law Enforcement Program Analyst (CG-MLE); Command Center Chief Sector San Juan PR

USCGA Alumni Association, OutServe, Society of White House Military Aides.

B.S. in Government from the US Coast Guard Academy; M.S.A in Leadership from Central Michigan University

CG Commendation Medal, USN Achievement Medal, CG Achievement Medal, CG Commandant Letter of Commendation