Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Can I join?

QUESTION: Greetings, I'm 18 years old and I received a ticket for drug paraphenlia (a marijuana pipe) and possession of marijuana less than an oz. I havn't had my court date yet, but it's my first offense. I'm currently enrolled in college and planning on getting my bachelors of criminal justice in 3-4 years. I'm wondering if I will be able to enlist after I graduate..(assuming I wont smoke pot)    I'm also interested in enlisting at the end of next semester, if possible.. Thanks!

ANSWER: The military is taking taking anyone with a drug charge of any kind, unless you are found not guilty.  Anything else besides a NOT GUILTY verdict makes you ineligible to join the military.

QUESTION: Okay, I'm not to sure about your 'expert' status.  If anyone has minor drug convictions and wants to be a US Marine, look up the recruiters in sioux falls, SD.  I hope no one has changed their career plans because of this guy.

My advice to this is go ahead and try to join with a drug conviction.  When you are denied entry, don't say I did not say so.  I do this for a living for the past 8 years, I work hand in hand with all military branches.  I asked my local Marine recruiter who I see everyday, and he says they still are not taking marijuana convictions.  

So that is my "expert status".  

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L

I am a National Guard Recruiting NCOIC, been doing recruiting jobs for the military for over 12 years and am a subject matter expert on qualifications for National Guard and Army ( as we use the same regulation) and I keep up to date on other services regulations as well. In my job, I process questionable applicants and determine eligibility, I process waivers of all types and know the regulations inside and out. I will not sugar coat my answers to you. They are usually short and to the point. If you need more in depth, ask me. Because each situation is different, alot of times you need to actually talk to a recruiter and let them evaluate your situation in person, by looking at your documents, issues etc. If I suggest this, it would be in your best interest to do so. Finally...thank you for your interest in serving this great nation of ours. Very few people can actually make the cut to serve let alone choose to do so. So thank you for wanting to and hopefully you will get a chance. Whatever branch you choose, thank you and good luck.

18 years Guard experience, combat missions and homeland missions. 12 years recruiting. I have been a platoon sergeant and squad leader. Mentor to new recruiters and recruits.

Recruiters course and advanced courses in recruiting