Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Basic training Chapter 11

Question
QUESTION: My son is in army basic currently.  I received a letter saying that he was going to be sent home due to "failure to adapt" chapter 11.  Paperwork was signed on a Tuesday 9/18, but he stated he was in medical with possible pneumonia.  He said they told him he would have to restart red phase all over even though they were currently in white phase and that is why he signed the papers.  I didn't think that was right and I thought that he could just pick up another platoon where he left off.  I think he is getting a lot of mixed information in medical.  First he needs to get his pneumonia healed.  Would they still chapter him for this alone? I am sure I don't have all the info.  "Do you know if once the Chapter 11 paperwork is signed, is there anyway the SIT can stop it? Our son said he was going to try to talk with someone about this because he really wants to finish, but not have to recycle all the way through red phase again.  He did already pass the red phase test and was shooting expert level when he got sick. What do you feel his chances are to get this changed?  Or do they just not care, once it is signed your are just out of luck?"  This may have already been resolved, but we haven't heard from him since.  Thanks for your help.

ANSWER: Louise,
That's a very common practice.  A Chapter 11 means not following orders, incapable of performing simple tasks, etc.  Once initiated it cannot be withdrawn by anyone other than  the commander.  Chances are the commander doesn't know your son personally and is only acting upon the say so of the Platoon Sgt and the First Sgt and others, so he likely wouldn't change it.

Yes, he'll have to start over again, but that's how the system was designed.  So Red phase should come easy to him since he passed it once.

He got the Chapter 11 for a reason, so don't automatically presume him innocent, but since MOST people do not get a Failure to Adapt , those that do should be looked at carefully. The military does not automatically discharge someone for a minor issue like  anger. instead, they work with them to try to get them to comply or re-train. only when they fail to adapt after going through this extra training do they finally get the axe.

So if one is discharged under this section , there IS cause for concern and regardless of the apparent lack of severity of the issue , it's a last resort.

Well, I just spoke to an Army recruiter and he your son will be limited to an MOS of 88M or 11B (truck driver or infantryman).  He had to sign paperwork accepting the Chapter 11, so yes, it's too late after that to change now.

I wish him luck.
Colonel H

QUESTION: Thanks.  Definitely not presuming him innocent, but it was totally out of the blue for sure.  I can only assume he got mad because they said they would restart him.  His MOS was 13F, so I guess he is out of luck now even if he were to try again depending on what his RE code is I guess.  How long will it take for them to send him home?  Will he be allowed to contact me?  We haven't talked to him since.

Answer
Louise,
Is he home yet?
Colonel H

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

MARK A. HOWELL