Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Getting into the airforce after cataract surgery

Hello ,

I have a question. Recently I started doing the paperwork for joining the Air Force. I gave all of my medical records pertaining to the time the cataract was present, even doctors notes about how my vision is my left eye only is 20/70 and 20/20 in the right as I've never had complications with my right eye, but correctable to 20/20 with contact lenses or glasses ( that's rather up to me, but ok ). When my recruiter read my medical file about the surgery ( it was back when I was 15 years old and I am almost 20 now) he told me that he already saw a waiver having to be requested just because of that. I went to see my ophthalmologist and he has informed me that there is absolutely 0 chance that the cataract will reoccur and that my vision is fixable back to normal standards. Is it possible for me to receive a waiver for a problem that has been fixed for almost 5 years now?

P.s: I heard the correctable vision back to 20/20 was only for those who are already in the service and I have yet to find anything about the visual standards for those that are still processing.

Hi Mattew.

Yes, that is a DQ. Here's the way DQ's work: There are regulations on everything that disqualifies someone, whether it be a history of or a current issue. But waivers are them saying they think that the issue isn't an issue and doesn't really fit under the DQ's. So what you have is an initial DQ, with a possibility of a waiver. People are initially DQ'd if they don't meet the standard, but then they are considered for a waiver on a case by case basis. Could you receive a waiver? Yes. Is it likely? Don't know. Since it's on a case by case basis, it's anyone's guess.

Good luck.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

I can answer any type of questions regarding the military, but more specifically, Marines, Army, and Navy. The Air Force and Coast Guard are subjects I can answer questions about, but my knowledge is rather limited in those fields. I can answer questions regarding history of, rank, structure, etc. I can also answer questions regarding any of the service academies (West Point, Naval Academy, and Air Force Academy, specifically), and Naval ROTC, Naval ROTC-Marine Option, and Army ROTC.

Much research regarding the military, and personal experiences with military. Talking to those in their respective branches has made me even more knowledgeable in the field of military for the branches I didn`t know much about before. Many interviews for research papers and such as well.

Current student.