Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Change Duty Station

Question
I was wonder if there is a way to change my duty station after being here for a year. I am a PFC and I'm at my first duty station in Germany. There are quite a few reasons I would much rather be stationed in the states. But none of the reasons are extenuating circumstances such as family health issues. I'm single and no dependants. I have heard of the "swap" and tried to get it changed when I was AIT, but my platoon sergeant would hear none of it. I'm assigned to be here for 2 years. Is there any other options that I could use? I understand that for the swap to take place the Army won't pay for anything. If I re-up after a year and pick a duty station do I still need to fulfill the contract here or is there a way to get reassigned? I'm still fuzzy with all the Army contracts for OCONUS any information would help.

Thanks.

Answer
Stephanie,
I'm sorry you're unhsppy but I'm afraid you're out of luck.  The purpose of a contract is to guarantee the Army you'll stay where assigned for a certain time.  This helps them with force management.  You're lucky to be in Germany and not stuck in some less desirable place like Korea.  Most people wsould kill for an assignment to Germany.  I don't know what your dislike is, but try to enjoy the rest of your assignment.  Get out and explore the local culture whenever possible.  Try to focus on the good things about your assignment and it'll make your time go faster.
Colonel H

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

MARK A. HOWELL