Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Duty/Reassignment/Discharge

Question
Hello, I am a new airman, still in tech school. I am extremely miserable with my choice to join. I chose to join at a time when I was on rather horrible terms with my parents and was willing to do most anything to get away from them. I was wondering if it was a possibility to switch from active duty to guard or if discharge was even a tangible idea or what the consequences of discharge would be. I was reclassified as a crew chief after being denied my security clearance for my original job. I am not expecting any good news, just honest answers. Everyone else I have asked has said, wait it will get better. I am tired of being given the runaround. Any news would be good news at this point. Any advice would be amazing.

My sincere thanks,
         Scott

Answer
Scott,
Sorry but you're not going to get the answer you'd like.  The Guard and Reserves are separate branches of the military so it's not a matter of simply switching.  You'll have to honor your original contract with the AF and then after you get out you can join the Guard or Reserves.

I too am going to tell you wait, it'll get better.  That's because it's true.  Ask yourself honestly what you don't like.  Is it living in a dorm?  Is it having to share a room with a roommate?  Is it doing chores or duties you're not accustomed to doing?  Believe me, all that will change, and soon.  Being in the military truly is a different way of life, not just a job.

All I can day is grin and bear it.  By the time your first enlistment is up you'll learn to either love it or hate it and will have to decide whether you want to re-enlist.  
Military life is not for everyone.  I have a brother who hated every minute of his 4 years, all because he couldn't stand being told what to do.  Now that he's older and wiser he regrets having left the Service.  So he came home and got a good job and is still being told what to do.  Trouble is, they can fire him now.  Military can't fire you.
Colonel H

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

MARK A. HOWELL