Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Hepatitus B+

Question
Our adopted son will be 20 years old this month.  He has expressed an interest in joining the military, not sure what branch yet.  He is a Hepatitus B+ carrier with no liver damage and has always been very healthy.  Is he eligble to join the military.  If so, what tests are necessary?

Answer
Hi P.J.,

I applaud your son for wanting to join the military. Per medical standards:

(1) Current acute or chronic hepatitis, hepatitis carrier state (070), hepatitis in the preceding 6 months, or persistence of symptoms after 6 months, or objective evidence of impairment of liver function does not meet the standard.

He will require a waiver, and if it will be granted, I cannot say.

Service members who do have it:

12) Chronic infectious diseases (HIV, Hepatitis B or C). Soldiers will not deploy into the combat theater of operations. If found fit by a PEB, Soldiers may deploy to Europe or Korea (Host Nation permitting).

It IS possible, but he will need a waiver.

Best of luck to him!  

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

Emma