Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Pregnant in the Military

Question
Hi Emma,
I am researching for a book.  The parents of my book are married, and enlisted in the year 1994; and she becomes pregnant with their two children in the years 1993 and 1995.

How did the Military handle pregnancy within that time period?  

Would she be honorable discharged, or have to serve while pregnant?

Thanks,
Nancy

Answer
Hi Nancy, glad to help out a writer.

In 1975, the DoD reversed a policy that previously stated a woman who became pregnant or adopted children in the military had to be discharged. The new policy stated women could elect to either be discharged, or continue to serve. Women who elected to serve would continue to serve on Active Duty and then go on maternity leave. This has been the policy ever since.

Hope this helps!

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

Emma