Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Renlistment

QUESTION: Hello, I have 2 misdemenors on my record I have class 1level 1 larceny and a drug paraphenelia charge. I want to know if I get those expunged off my record am I eligible for reenlistment? Thanks for your time.

ANSWER: Expunge is a fake feel good thing, it doe snot negate that fact that you were found guilty of the crimes, and they are counted against you no matter the status in civilian court.

The military asks id you have ever been charged, then they go into convictions, then they go ask about expunged charges.  All guilty count against you.  Army  and Air force, will not even look at you with a drug conviction, even if expunged.  Navy and Marines might be able, but doubtful at this time.

QUESTION: So the fact of the matter is im looking at not ever being able to serve again? And how co.e my new recruiter says if I get the judge to word it differently or something then its would be no problem.

It may be due t the fact the recruiter does not know, as I have been doing this over 8 years, I see all the tricks.  

It isn't always fair, I agree, but they are real strict these days.

Also, A judge cannot change what the conviction was for, it was what it was.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L

I am a National Guard Recruiting NCOIC, been doing recruiting jobs for the military for over 12 years and am a subject matter expert on qualifications for National Guard and Army ( as we use the same regulation) and I keep up to date on other services regulations as well. In my job, I process questionable applicants and determine eligibility, I process waivers of all types and know the regulations inside and out. I will not sugar coat my answers to you. They are usually short and to the point. If you need more in depth, ask me. Because each situation is different, alot of times you need to actually talk to a recruiter and let them evaluate your situation in person, by looking at your documents, issues etc. If I suggest this, it would be in your best interest to do so. Finally...thank you for your interest in serving this great nation of ours. Very few people can actually make the cut to serve let alone choose to do so. So thank you for wanting to and hopefully you will get a chance. Whatever branch you choose, thank you and good luck.

18 years Guard experience, combat missions and homeland missions. 12 years recruiting. I have been a platoon sergeant and squad leader. Mentor to new recruiters and recruits.

Recruiters course and advanced courses in recruiting