Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Helicoper Pilot Training

Hey John, been filtering through a lot of information on the web about which branch would be best suited for what I'm trying to achieve.

However I would rather hear advice from someone with the experience before I meet with a recruiter, My main goal of joining the military is primarily for helicopter flight training to become a pilot outside the military in the future.

I am 21 and I am prepared to do what it takes to get a position in the military that warrants training. I would greatly appreciate to know which branch you think has the best opportunities for this.

From my understanding you need to either become a Warrant Officer or a Commissioned Officer, do you recommend doing the college to become the ladder?

I don't mind answering any questions you might have for me. Thank you more than a lot for your time

It really depends if you are willing to take the time to do what needs to be done.  I would recommend joining the National Guard in your state, if your state has a large aviation section.  Try to join as a MOS 15T, which is a blackhawk crew chief, you will have to get a flight physical, and that gets you in the community.  After you reach the rank of E4, apply for pilot school, most states are always looking for pilots, you will go to warrant officer school, then to pilot school for a year.

If your National Guard has little to no aviation, try the same route in the Army reserves, if they have aviation kind of close to you.

The reserve components are easier routes than active duty to fly helicopters.

The Army has the most helo pilots and most of them are warrant officers, which come from the enlisted ranks.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L

I am a National Guard Recruiting NCOIC, been doing recruiting jobs for the military for over 12 years and am a subject matter expert on qualifications for National Guard and Army ( as we use the same regulation) and I keep up to date on other services regulations as well. In my job, I process questionable applicants and determine eligibility, I process waivers of all types and know the regulations inside and out. I will not sugar coat my answers to you. They are usually short and to the point. If you need more in depth, ask me. Because each situation is different, alot of times you need to actually talk to a recruiter and let them evaluate your situation in person, by looking at your documents, issues etc. If I suggest this, it would be in your best interest to do so. Finally...thank you for your interest in serving this great nation of ours. Very few people can actually make the cut to serve let alone choose to do so. So thank you for wanting to and hopefully you will get a chance. Whatever branch you choose, thank you and good luck.

18 years Guard experience, combat missions and homeland missions. 12 years recruiting. I have been a platoon sergeant and squad leader. Mentor to new recruiters and recruits.

Recruiters course and advanced courses in recruiting