Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/stress fracture of shins

QUESTION: "My son is at his MOS A school and was recently diagnosed with cracks in his shins - stress fractures.  They did x-rays.  He is on light duty and to go back in 3 weeks.  They said if worse, then he will be on crutches.  He'd go back later and then if worse or the same, possible medical separation.  He got through bootcamp and MCT.  Now he has stress fractures which he thinks happened in MCT however he pushed through it.  He has about 6 weeks left of his 3 month A school and then would head to C school.  Is what he is hearing right?  would they really med separate for stress fractures?  From everything we read, he should heal fine IF he doesn't run for a while, so he'd have to remain on light duty but could continue his classes.  Anything he can do when going back to medical for his recheck?  thoughts/advice.  He does NOT want to leave."  He goes back soon now for his 1st recheck.

ANSWER: Darbi:   I apologize for the delay in answering!   Computer issues...hopefully repaired now.

Yes, it is possible he could be separated for these.  It will really depend on how bad they are, and how bad HE wants to stay in.   But if the military caused them, they'll pay for them.

There is nothing he can do with this, other than let it heal, and that takes time.  Tell him to take it easy and listen to his docs, he should be ok.

Again, sorry for the delay in response!

QUESTION: He had his return visit (the 3 weeks) and all is the same.  Goes back again in 3 weeks.  but they are not giving him crutches or anything.  I did send him some compression sleeves.  He is on light duty but still there is much walking to do = which is causing him pain now in his hips.  He really wants to stay in.

Ma'am...that is about what I figured would happen.  If he is having that much pain (and it WILL go to the hips) then he needs to go and request crutches.  Just that simple.  Otherwise, they WILL discharge him eventually if he can't get back to 100 percent.  He is going to have to be responsible for taking care of himself, and letting them know when he is having an issue, otherwise they'll just assume he's ok and keep chargin.   

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

Jason Grabill

Questions relating to US Marine Corps; rank, awards, uniforms, career choices. I can also help people spot and expose fakes (people pretending to be Marines or have awards they didn`t earn). Considering the Marines as a career? Or another branch, like the Air National Guard? Drop me a line. HOWever..know that I am NOT a recruiter. I can offer my expert opinion and advice, but can't (and won't) over rule what a recruiter says, they are the 'on duty' expert.

Infantry Rifleman, MOS 0311: 3 years. Marine Barracks Security (Marine Barracks, Annapolis, Maryland(not Embassy Duty): 3 years. Parachutist: MOS 9962: Got my wings in August of 1984. Intelligence Specialist: MOS 0231 10 years working as an Intelligence Analyst with a Fixed Wing Fighter Squadron, Force Service Support Group, and at Headquarters, Marine Corps. Field Radio Operator: MOS 2531. Served as a Platoon Sergeant in a Communications Platoon assigned to MEU Service Support Group 24 (Special Operations Capable). Did a hitch in the Army reserves as an 11B (Infantryman), 3 years. Finished out my career in the Air National Guard as a BioEnvironmental Engineer MOS 4B3X1, did that for a few years. I"ve been collecting and selling Marine Corps and other military uniforms, medals, and field gear since I was 8 years old.

United States Marine Corps Logistical Company.

I was an Editorial writer for Marine Corps Times from 1998-2000.

Extensive library of research materials relating to uniforms, medals, and equipment of the military and the Marine Corps. 22 College credits, Community College of the Air Force. Certified Historical Interpreter.

Kosovo Campaign Medal w/1 star Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with 4 stars. Numerous other unit awards. I was on duty on 9/11 at HQMC, near the Pentagon, and responded to that location to try and lend a hand if needed...

United States Marine Corps Historical Company, Guardian Security and Investigations, lead Investigator for 'Stolen Valor' cases.