Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Duration of Enlistment

Question
When you first enlist at 18 in the Army, how long is the usual duration.

I've read (in different websites) several different blocks of years of mandatory service when you first enlist - from just two years, or ten years, or even twenty years.

Thank you,
Nancy

Answer
All military services require an 8 year enlistment.  Each branch breaks it down between active and standby or IRR.

Army is typically 3 years except certain specialties, Navy and Marines are typically 4 years.  After that, one is transferred to the IRR, where they receive no pay or benefits, but are subject to recall until the 8 year time frame is up.

More information here:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/obligation.htm  

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L