Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Loadmaster

Question
Mr. Howell,

I am not sure if you have already answered a question like this; so I apologize in advance. I recently was graced with a wonderful opportunity to join the Air Force as a Loadmaster, due to someone giving up the spot. However, I was notified that I was given less than 2 weeks and will leave on March 5th. With such little time left I have been trying to understand what tech school will be like, how long, and how I get placed with an airframe.

The reason I have come to ask you is, because it seems no one can give me straight answers about anything. I hear one thing, but then it is contradicted by another. I'd like to know about the tech school, as I know it will be in different bases for different training (ex. Fairchild for survival and POW training and Florida for water/parachute training) but for how long they are I am not sure. Also, various people have told me depending on my "dream list" of bases to go they will determine what airframe I go into. Though this sounds highly unlikely, it is what people have told me. If I could have it my way, I would choose the C-17, as my dad was a flying crew chief on those planes for many years.

Thank you for your time to take a look and read this.

-Lauren

Answer
Lauren,
I just returned from a 4 week deployment and I literally have my mobility bag in one hand to go again as I'm answering this.  I would suggest you ask your question to James Bell who himself was a loadmaster and is one of our experts.  I believe he has the time to give you a better answer than I can.  Tell him I sent you,
Thanks,
  Colonel H

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

MARK A. HOWELL