Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Medical Clearance for the Marines

My son is currently trying to enlist in the Marines. After a series of questions and obtaining his medical records they found he had spinal meningitis several years ago. Apparently that was enough to not allow him take the physical and they are forwarding his medical records to the medical bureau in DC to review. As I know you cannot say for sure, I was looking for realistically what his chances were to still be able to enlist? He had no complications or side effects from the viral meningitis and it was several years ago. I have not been able to meet with the recruiter to ask my self and my son is not as "Inquisitive" as I am. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the delay in response this week.   

You really need to go and see the recruiter as he or she will have a far better working idea than I do at this point.   Realistically I'd say the chances are about 30 percent to get in, if he has never had a complication from the prior issue and he's been 100 percent healthy since.  If he has, then it drops to a very low percentage indeed.   Remember, the military these days are looking for ways to keep people OUT, not get them in, due to the budget situation.

I do wish you best of luck!

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

Jason Grabill

Questions relating to US Marine Corps; rank, awards, uniforms, career choices. I can also help people spot and expose fakes (people pretending to be Marines or have awards they didn`t earn). Considering the Marines as a career? Or another branch, like the Air National Guard? Drop me a line. HOWever..know that I am NOT a recruiter. I can offer my expert opinion and advice, but can't (and won't) over rule what a recruiter says, they are the 'on duty' expert.

Infantry Rifleman, MOS 0311: 3 years. Marine Barracks Security (Marine Barracks, Annapolis, Maryland(not Embassy Duty): 3 years. Parachutist: MOS 9962: Got my wings in August of 1984. Intelligence Specialist: MOS 0231 10 years working as an Intelligence Analyst with a Fixed Wing Fighter Squadron, Force Service Support Group, and at Headquarters, Marine Corps. Field Radio Operator: MOS 2531. Served as a Platoon Sergeant in a Communications Platoon assigned to MEU Service Support Group 24 (Special Operations Capable). Did a hitch in the Army reserves as an 11B (Infantryman), 3 years. Finished out my career in the Air National Guard as a BioEnvironmental Engineer MOS 4B3X1, did that for a few years. I"ve been collecting and selling Marine Corps and other military uniforms, medals, and field gear since I was 8 years old.

United States Marine Corps Logistical Company.

I was an Editorial writer for Marine Corps Times from 1998-2000.

Extensive library of research materials relating to uniforms, medals, and equipment of the military and the Marine Corps. 22 College credits, Community College of the Air Force. Certified Historical Interpreter.

Kosovo Campaign Medal w/1 star Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with 4 stars. Numerous other unit awards. I was on duty on 9/11 at HQMC, near the Pentagon, and responded to that location to try and lend a hand if needed...

United States Marine Corps Historical Company, Guardian Security and Investigations, lead Investigator for 'Stolen Valor' cases.