Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/physical

Question
QUESTION: Hi I'm hoping to enroll in the Coast Guard Academy and wanted to do so for quite a while, but while getting a football physical this past fall they informed me that I have a heart murmur. It hasn't affected me physically, I play football, basketball, and I work out all the time so I stay in great shape but would the heart murmur prevent me from getting in to the academy? I also have slightly high blood pressure, but it really doesn't affect me. I'm not overweight I weigh 180 and I'm 6'4 so I'm rather skinny and I can pass the physical and I'm just wondering if I wouldn't be accepted.

ANSWER: Bailey,

I believe a heart murmur would medically disqualify you but you may be able to get a waiver.  Have you started the application process for the Academy?  If not I would start and then see were the process takes you.  Only disclose what you absolutely must with regards to medical information often candidates disqualify themselves because they "think" they might have had something.  

R/

LCDR John Fiorentine USCG

QUESTION: No actually im only a freshman in high school and ive toured the academy and kept my grades up for the academy and even picked up extra curricular activities and hope it wasnt for a waste....do you think i could get away with it if it wasnt brought up in a physical and i not say anything? or would it be smarter just to speak up and pray for a waiver?

ANSWER: Bailey,

I would not self report anything that isn't medically proven and in your file.  In the mean time keep your grades up, remain active in extracurricular activities and maintain your physical fitness.

R/

LCDR John M. Fiorentine USCG

QUESTION: ok, thank you, one last question..i have terrible vision in my left eye but is corrected by glasses....i however hate these forsaken glasses and wish to get contacts..now would i be excluded from anything because of wearing glasses or contacts...i was actually wanting to be a rescue swimmer and ive heard through the grape vine that you have to have perfect vision and that im to tall to be in a helicopter is this true?

Answer
Bailey,

If you want to be a rescue swimmer the Academy is not the place for you.  Rescue Swimmers (Aviation Survival Technicians) are enlisted petty officers not commissioned officers. As far as vision/height requirements I am unsure of them but a Coast Guard recruiter would be able to answer your questions.

R/

LCDR John Fiorentine

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John Fiorentine