Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Ticket for PODP

Question
Dear Sir,

My son wants to join the Marines but recently got a ticket for Possession of Drug Paraphernalia for a pipe that was found in his car.  The ticket is pending and due to be paid soon.

His recruiter is telling him to pay it in order for them to move forward.

Do you know if there is anything we can do up front that might help?  (Get a lawyer etc.  This is his first offense and we could possibly get it deferred)

Also,  do you know if this will cause problems with him enlisting or getting security clearances etc. ?

Any advice is appreciated.  Regards, -Lori

Answer
Lori:

The bigger question will be "Will he come up positive on a urine test?" for drugs.   If that is the case (and no matter what he tells you....where there is smoke there is fire...) then I'd advise him to wait at least six months until he is 'clean'.   If he 'pops hot' on a test then he'll be disqualified from enlisting no matter what, for at least a year.

My advice is to pay the fine and move on.    The overall case is likely a misdemeanor charge and not that big of a deal, but he'll have to answer questions about it for the rest of his life.   Needs to be prepared for that.

Certainly your right to get a lawyer, but unless the car isn't his or he has a friend willing to take the rap on this (that was with him and hid it etc) likely you'll be wasting money for the same outcome.   Might be worth talking to one regardless, though.

Needless to say, the military is 'zero tolerance' and things like this will get him tossed out with no chance at appeals or much of anything else.   So if he is doing something, it needs to stop.  He'll need to stop hanging out with people who DO things like that as well.

Hope that helps!

Jason

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

Jason Grabill