Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Felony Deferred Prosectution as a minor

Mr. L,

My nephew was charged with a felony possession of a controlled substance (marijuana brownie) at the age of 16.  He was given a deferred prosecution, which as I understand is different from a deferred adjudication, that was eventually ordered dismissed.  His records are in the process of being sealed. He is interested in joining the Army National Guard. Is it best or perhaps a must to disclose this information to the recruiter? Would this history prevent him from enlisting?

Thank you.
Sara M.

The minute he says marijuana and court, anything but a not guilty makes him ineligible for enlistment.  There is a ban on those with drug charges and convictions, deferred anything is guilty in the eyes of the military, because there was something done to get it dismissed.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L

I am a National Guard Recruiting NCOIC, been doing recruiting jobs for the military for over 12 years and am a subject matter expert on qualifications for National Guard and Army ( as we use the same regulation) and I keep up to date on other services regulations as well. In my job, I process questionable applicants and determine eligibility, I process waivers of all types and know the regulations inside and out. I will not sugar coat my answers to you. They are usually short and to the point. If you need more in depth, ask me. Because each situation is different, alot of times you need to actually talk to a recruiter and let them evaluate your situation in person, by looking at your documents, issues etc. If I suggest this, it would be in your best interest to do so. Finally...thank you for your interest in serving this great nation of ours. Very few people can actually make the cut to serve let alone choose to do so. So thank you for wanting to and hopefully you will get a chance. Whatever branch you choose, thank you and good luck.

18 years Guard experience, combat missions and homeland missions. 12 years recruiting. I have been a platoon sergeant and squad leader. Mentor to new recruiters and recruits.

Recruiters course and advanced courses in recruiting