Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/dq for medical

Question
My daughter is getting dq from boot camp for not disclosing a mole she had removed from her let temple on her head.  She asked me if she needed to list it on med sheet. I told her no.  Well they question her at boot camp during medical.  She did not know how to answer this and so it was for being tested for pre melanoma.  Her sister had pre melanoma and they tested her, do to it runs is siblings as a pre caution.  Andrea did not know that.  When she called home I told her she did not have anything. The mole came back negative.  I got a hold of her chief.  She called Cape May and they said they would put a hold on her dq for one week and to send the doctor reports and path report on the mole.  We had everything sent over within two hours.  We thought it was behind her and she was going back to her company. Well we got a phone call a week later and said she would be home tomorrow night.
She said she had no idea she was cleared for it.  She had to go in front of a med court that following Monday after her dq and they told her she could appeal it but if she was found guilty she would be facing federal charges.  She told me "mom is wasn't sure if I had it or not. I did not want to go to prison If I wasn't sure if I had it or not.  They never disclosed to her that they got her medical records and she was cleared.. Where do we go from here.  She really wanted this she graduated a year early from college with a BA in OM.  She just got scared she did something wrong...

Answer
Tammra,
Yes. Moles can be inherited. Genes can have an influence on a person's moles.  Atypical mole syndrome is a hereditary condition which causes the person to have moles with some larger than normal or atypical. This often leads to a higher risk of melanoma, a serious skin cancer.

So the medical folks were being cautious to ensure Andrea wouldn't have a problem with skin cancer in the future.  Don't worry about yourself, there's nothing they can do to you.

There's nothing she can do now.  Her time for appeal has passed.  She'll just have to be satisfied knowing she tried.

Best of luck to her in whatever she tries.
Colonel H

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

MARK A. HOWELL