Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/I want to join the military...

Question
I am 23 years old,a Filipino,female,have a American husband and we have one son.Studying  in college as nursing am in 2nd year level now.My dream is to join in military just wonder if their is possibility  that i can join in this feild.What sort of things do i need to do so that i will be qualified to join?

Answer
Elgine,
Sorry it's taken me so long to answer but I've been in the hospital.

Yes, you can join.  You're not too old (43 is the maximum for the Army) and you have 2 dependents, which is the maximum you can join with.  After you're in, you can have as many as you like.  Here's the requirements for a nurse:

•Possess a BSN degree from an accredited school of nursing. *Note: The U.S. Army Reserves will accept an Associate Degree RN but you must obtain a BSN by the time you go up to the promotion board for Captain.
•Be a U.S. citizen
•Have a reasonably clean criminal history: no felony convictions. A speeding ticket or minor infraction will usually not keep you from being commissioned. Having 30 unpaid traffic tickets will keep you from being commissioned. If you have a blemish or two on your record you may be able to apply for a waiver and still be accepted into the military.
•Be able to pass a background check for a secret clearance
•Pass a medical physical
•Meet the height and weight standards for the service you are entering
•Meet the age requirement - varies depending on the military service
•Apply for a direct commission through a military healthcare recruiter for the service you want to join
The second way to become a military nurse is to join the ROTC or Reserve Officer Training Corps. The ROTC assists with college tuition and pays a small stipend while you go to college. You take some additional course work in military history, leadership and attend ROTC summer camp for the four years you are in college. Upon completion of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Degree you are commissioned into the military service you are enrolled in the ROTC through. The Army, Navy and Air Force all have ROTC programs. To meet the military nurse requirements for ROTC you must also pass the national RN exam or RN-NCLEX and be able to become licensed as a registered nurse in one of the 50 states or U.S. territories.

ROTC Commission Process:

•Meet the age requirement: varies depending on the military service.  Usually, the age you can enter college ROTC is between 18-26.  Be sure to check with the service branch for the exact age.  This can change depending on the needs of the service.
•Attend an approved 4 year university that is part of the ROTC program
•Maintain the acceptable Grade Point Average (GPA) - usually a 2.5 or 3.0 out of 4.0.
•Be a U.S. citizen
•Have a clean criminal record; 1 or 2 traffic tickets will usually not bar you from selection.  
•Pass a medical physical - usually administered in your third year of ROTC
•Meet the height and weight standards for the service you are in ROTC with
•Upon successful graduation from the college/ROTC program you will be commissioned as an officer.
See a recruiter today and tell him of your particular situation.
Best wishes,
Colonel H

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

MARK A. HOWELL