Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/General questions

Question
Hi James,

I'm doing a story for a creative writing class and there are a couple of scenes that feature the air force.  Basically, a city is attacked and it's near an air force base so the air force responds.  I hope you can answer a few questions.

Who is in charge of an air force base?  How would he/she identify themselves to outsiders?  I imagine it's hard to say "I'm General X, in charge of X air force base."

What kind of ground vehicles does an air force base keep in response to an attack?  

Is there a name for the type of soldiers that would respond/make a perimter, such as Special Tactics Squadron?

Answer
Dennis -

The Commander of the overall base would be the Wing Commander, usually a senior Colonel or Brigadier General.

Realize that, depending upon the "attack" you are describing, you may fall under Posse Comitatus ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

Essentially, the U.S. Armed Forces are under the direcout control of the Federal Government, and are prohibited from getting involved in "states" issues.  If there is merely an attack of some sort dealing with local forces, the military would not get involved, such as a union strike, etc.  But if the attack is from a foreign body, such as the 9/11 attacks, then certainly the military would be mobilized and the full force of their units would be employed.

Most Air Force bases are equipped with the standard armored "hummers" you see in many movies.  As many military bases are becoming "joint" bases, you would see then melding into a single unit comprised of Army/Navy/Air Force/Marine componenets.  In that case you would see a lot more heavy armor mixed in, such as Army tanks and heavy artillery, if it was an Army base that had these vehicles assigned.

I hope this helps in your research.

Respectfully,
James Bell

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

James Bell