Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Boot camp EPTS

My son joined the Army NG in January on a medical approval.  He tore his labrum last year, had surgery and we supplied the army with all the appropriate letters and records.  He's been at drill weekends for 6 months and had no problems.  Less than two weeks into boot camp, he thinks he re-tore the labrum and is being sent home on an EPTS discharge.  He is crushed, to say the least and believes he is being treated poorly because they think he is faking it.  He is very fit and was looking forward to the mental and physical challenge.  Anyway, my main question is, if he needs surgery again, will the Army pay for it?  We have our own insurance(BC), but after reading blogs, etc., I'm wondering if they'll even pay for it.  He wants to possibly re enlist later.  He was counting on tuition help for college though and I'm guessing that's down the drain, too.

Correct, he will be discharged for failing to meet medical procurement standards.  Since this was a previous injury, they will not pay for further surgery.

If he does need surgery, he can have it fix again and reapply for the service after a certain amount of time ( 12 months  think).  He will need to resubmit all the medical documents and try to get a waiver again, though it will be more difficult second time around, but not impossible.
As far as tuition goes, that is correct, he will not receive any benefits.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L

I am a National Guard Recruiting NCOIC, been doing recruiting jobs for the military for over 12 years and am a subject matter expert on qualifications for National Guard and Army ( as we use the same regulation) and I keep up to date on other services regulations as well. In my job, I process questionable applicants and determine eligibility, I process waivers of all types and know the regulations inside and out. I will not sugar coat my answers to you. They are usually short and to the point. If you need more in depth, ask me. Because each situation is different, alot of times you need to actually talk to a recruiter and let them evaluate your situation in person, by looking at your documents, issues etc. If I suggest this, it would be in your best interest to do so. Finally...thank you for your interest in serving this great nation of ours. Very few people can actually make the cut to serve let alone choose to do so. So thank you for wanting to and hopefully you will get a chance. Whatever branch you choose, thank you and good luck.

18 years Guard experience, combat missions and homeland missions. 12 years recruiting. I have been a platoon sergeant and squad leader. Mentor to new recruiters and recruits.

Recruiters course and advanced courses in recruiting