Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Deployment details

Question
Hi Jason, I would like to ask a question regarding the process of deployment.
I am a writer who was commissioned by a film company to adapt the story of a man's journey as a Marine, specifically going from boot camp to his first deployment. They intend to submit this to the Sundance committee so I'd like to be sure that it is  accurate.
Would you be able to explain the process in which a Marine would be deployed to Iraq. Specifically how and where would he depart from his hometown (a commercial or military airport)
I realize it may be a somewhat vague question but I appreciate any information you can provide.

As an aside I'd like to thank you for your service. I have the utmost respect for those who serve in the military.

Answer
Vince, I apologize for the delay in answering!   Computer issues...hopefully now repaired.

I can tell you that Marines almost never deploy as 'individuals'.  He would go as a member of an entire unit.  They would go out en masse, from either a civilian or military airport.   I believe the Army and AF do it the same way, for the most part.

There are exceptions, but that is the general rule of thumb.

Hope that helped!

Jason

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

Jason Grabill