Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Army Ranger eligibility

I have hypothyroid and it has been controlled by medication for many years.  I am seeking to enlist in the Army with an 11x option 40 contract after I graduate from college, but before I contact a recruiter I am trying to gather all information pertaining to this topic.  According to AR 40-501 section 2-8(endocrine and metabolic disorders) hypothyroidism uncontrolled by medication does not meet the standard.  Section 53(Medical fitness standards for initial selection for Airborne training, Ranger training, Special
Forces training, and Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders Course training) refers back to section 2-8 for endocrine standards.  My question is, with controlled hypothyroid would I be eligible for an option 40 contract and a spot in RASP 1?  I know according to MANMED p-117, chronic use of medication is disqualifying for candidates of SEALS, SWCC, Force Recon, and EOD but there is no mention of this standard in AR 40-501.

The International Classification of Disease (ICD) code  242.9 lists hyperthyroidism as a cause for disqualificationm to join the Army.  However, hypothyroidism is more easily controlled with medication and is therefore waiverable.  Hyper (overproduction) swings wildly from one extreme to another and can't be well controlled.  Hypo is more stable because it just doesnn't work at all.  Normally the medicine Synthroid, taken once a day, controls it quite well.  Lots of people who take it, join the Army.  However, the Rangers, (who are more selective) won't accept this because they're "quite often in a situation where they cannot obtain more of this daily required medicine should your pills become lost or damaged."  A direct quote from the Rangers.
So you can join the Army, but not the Rangers.
Colonel H

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

All military questions, any Service. 30 years experience & two Ph.D.'s. 4 times Base Commander. Worked with Army, Navy, USMC, USCG and several foreign military units. Veteran of Kosovo, Bosnia, Macedonia, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, and 10 civil wars in Africa.

Air Force Colonel with 30 years experience. Air Force Base Commander 4 times. Highly decorated.

Org of Am Historians, Wild West History Assoc., Disabled American Veterans - Life Member, Am Motorcyclist Assoc. - Life Member, North Am Hunt Club - Life Member, NWTF - Life Member

Numerous book reviews published in the Journal of American History. Two books submitted for publication. Co-Author of two more. Eisenhower memorial Library (interview with U.S. Presidential chaffeur

Ph.D. in military history, Columbus University (Summa Cum Laude) Ph.D. in history, London, England (Summa Cum Laude) Master of Arts degree in history, Marshall University, WV Bachelors degree, double-major in history and mathematics, Salem College, WV Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL

Legion of Merit, Defense MSM, 5 Meritous Service Medals,Joint Commendation Medal AF Commendation Medal Army Commendation Joint Achievement Medal AF Achievement Medal Outstanding Volunteer Medal Total of 33 Medals and 43 Ribbons