Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Gaining Information.

Hey Mr. Fiorentine. A response to these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Q #1: The United States Coast Guard facilitates an effective search and rescue unit for locating people in harsh conditions. How much training does a rescue diver have to go through before attaining the position of a USCG rescue swimmer?( How many years)

#2: Do a majority of these rescue swimmers have military backgrounds or is this mostly the first branch these men and women have served in?

#3: How many offshore operations do most rescue swimmers take part in in a month?

Q1:  Aviation Survivor Technician (AST) is an enlisted rating in the Coast Guard. The AST "A" School lasts four months.  The following website goes into more detail with regards to ASTs: Coast Guard Cutters will have one or two designated Cutter Rescue Surface Swimmers...this is a qualification obtained in approximately one month through classrooms training and in the pool. The following article goes into more detail about the program:  The Coast Guard does not have "rescue divers".

Q2:  The majority of ASTs (and the whole Coast Guard for that matter) are initial entries into the Coast Guard with no prior military service though some are prior service.  I do not have the exact break down.

Q3:  It is difficult to determine the exact number of operations and training that a typical AST will undertake in a month.  AIRSTA Miami launched 666 times in FY13 for Search and Rescue...they have 21 ASTs assigned to the unit.

LCDR J.M. Fiorentine USCG

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John Fiorentine

Active Duty Coast Guard Lieutenant Commander. My specialties are opertations afloat and operations ashore; three afloat tours and three ashore tour under my belt including command afloat and navy exchange. My staff assignments have been with Officer Personnel Management as a Career Counselor, White House Military Office as a Social Aide, and at the Office of Law Enforcement within CG Headquarters as a program analyst. I can answer questions related to the Coast Guard, the assignment process, officer specialties, OCONUS duty, afloat and ashore operations. I can also answer questions related to the White House Social Aide Program.

WMEC Deck Watch Officer Portsmouth VA; DD Combat Info Center Officer Yokosuka Japan (Navy Exchange); WPB Commanding Officer San Juan PR; Enforcement Div Sector San Juan PR; Career Counselor (OPM-4); Law Enforcement Program Analyst (CG-MLE); Command Center Chief Sector San Juan PR

USCGA Alumni Association, OutServe, Society of White House Military Aides.

B.S. in Government from the US Coast Guard Academy; M.S.A in Leadership from Central Michigan University

CG Commendation Medal, USN Achievement Medal, CG Achievement Medal, CG Commandant Letter of Commendation