Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/medical waiver

QUESTION: Hello Mark,

My son has now been medically disqualified by the AF and the Navy.  He has tree nut allergies (not peanut, almond, pecan) and has never needed medical attention for it.  Also, he waa taking meds for Adhd, but has been off meds for more than 3 years, never had an IEP for school and has held a job continuously since he got out of high school (2 years ago).    He also has taken college courses while working full time, with a 3.0 GPA.  He scored an 80 on the ASVAB, a 90 on the electronics portion.  We are at a loss as to why the Navy rejected him.  While going through the process with the Navy, army recruiters were dinging him to enlist with them.  They saw  his disqualification from the Air Force (they looked it up) and told my son they can get him a waiver. What do you think the likelihood is he could get a waiver with the Army?  Will his ASVAB scores make him more favorable to them?

Thanks much!

ANSWER: Cindy,
  For some reason this exact same message has appeared in my Inbox again.  I answered it about a week ago.  If for some reason you did not receive my reply please inform me and I'll resend it.
  Colonel Howell

QUESTION: Hello Colonel Howell,

No Sir, I did not get a response in my inbox.  I also checked here on site and did not see a response.  We are still waiting for an answer from the Army.  It's been 3 weeks.

Iíll bet all this transpired before October 1st didnít it.  The Air Force and the Navy both met their quota for new recruits back in July.  Those recruiters kicked back and took it easy the last few months.  Itís likely your son ran across some of those kind of recruiters.  Unfortunately thereís a lot of those kind out there.  It sounds like the Army recruiter is honest.

The reason the Navy and Air Force wouldnít take him is because of the drugs used to treat the ADHD.  They have nasty side-affects that can pop up anytime, even years later.  Chances are your son wonít have any, but the Navy and AF arenít willing to gamble.  If the Army recruiter thinks he can get him a waiver then by all means go Army.

All  the Services are fairly similar, they just have different ways of completing their mission.  The Army does it on land, the Navy does their job on water, and the Air Force uses the air and space to  carry-out their mission.

Contact your Army recuiter, he's probably waiting to hear from YOU.
Colonel H  

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

All military questions, any Service. 30 years experience & two Ph.D.'s. 4 times Base Commander. Worked with Army, Navy, USMC, USCG and several foreign military units. Veteran of Kosovo, Bosnia, Macedonia, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, and 10 civil wars in Africa.

Air Force Colonel with 30 years experience. Air Force Base Commander 4 times. Highly decorated.

Org of Am Historians, Wild West History Assoc., Disabled American Veterans - Life Member, Am Motorcyclist Assoc. - Life Member, North Am Hunt Club - Life Member, NWTF - Life Member

Numerous book reviews published in the Journal of American History. Two books submitted for publication. Co-Author of two more. Eisenhower memorial Library (interview with U.S. Presidential chaffeur

Ph.D. in military history, Columbus University (Summa Cum Laude) Ph.D. in history, London, England (Summa Cum Laude) Master of Arts degree in history, Marshall University, WV Bachelors degree, double-major in history and mathematics, Salem College, WV Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL

Legion of Merit, Defense MSM, 5 Meritous Service Medals,Joint Commendation Medal AF Commendation Medal Army Commendation Joint Achievement Medal AF Achievement Medal Outstanding Volunteer Medal Total of 33 Medals and 43 Ribbons