Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Wanting to reenlist

Question
Hello first off thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. I was discharged from the U.S. Navy back in 09 for being awol due to a overwhelming complication with my mother during leave. I had spoke with my department head explaining the situation and he didn't wanna work with me even if I had plenty of leave saved and we were dry docked. My mother was going threw a depression and said that I was all she had left and if I left her again she would take her own life. After I got my mother help and insured she would be ok I returned back to base and turned myself in. During this time the navy discharge me with a general under honorable with code JKD and reenlistment code of RE4. Every day it kills me not finishing what I planned on doing my whole life is there anything I can do to get back in before its to late? Again thank you for your time and knowlage on this matter.

Answer
Marcos,
Sorry, but itís already too late.  Looks like they screwed you over big time.  JKD means exactly: AWOL, Desertion.   Persons with a reenlistment eligibility (RE) Code of "4" are normally not eligible to reenlist in their service, nor eligible to join another service.   Your only chance would be get the RE code changed.  To do that is an expensive, long, complicated process.  The system was designed to be that way because the government doesnít like to be  proven wrong.  After hiring a lawyer and filing lots of paperwork, you basically have to prove the government was wrong at the time, or the punishment was unjust (not given to somebody else for the exact same thing).  Actually, they werenít wrong, were they?  Technically you werenít present for duty and werenít on leave.  Youíre not allowed to include anything that has transpired since (Iím a good boy and model citizen now.)   So my advice is: donít waste your time and money fighting a battle you canít win.  Should anyone ask if youíre a veteran just say you served in the Navy.   Thatís all they need to know.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

MARK A. HOWELL