Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Becoming a pilot

Question
Hello, I am a 15 year old currently looking into becoming a pilot. I have always dreamed of flying the C5 Galaxy due to the fact that when I use to live in San Antonio my father and I would watch them land and takeoff at various military bases in the area. I was hoping you could tell me what I would have to do to become a C5 Galaxy pilot and what college degree I should major in. All help is appreciated and thank you for taking the time to reply if you do!

Answer
Gardner -

My area of expertise is ENLISTED aircrew careers (boom operator, flight engineer, loadmaster), so I can't quote you chapter and verse on what you need, however, having been in close proximity to pilots for my entire career, I can tell you some of the basics.  You can also go to www.AirForce.com and chat live with a recruiter.  They will be able to give you the specifics on what is needed.

A 4-year college degree.  The type of degree isn't important, it just needs to be from an accredited four-year university.

You must have 20/20 vision with no color blindness and good depth perception, and good hearing in both ears.  These are the minimum physical requirements.  There are others as well, but these are usually the ones that eliminate most people.

You need to be enrolled into an ROTC program or something that leads to a commission in the U.S. Air Force.  Getting accepted into pilot training is yet another hurdle in itself.

I hope I helped a bit.  As I said above, talking to a recuiter would be the definitive answer, as they have the current requirements so you have a specific list of tasts to accomplish.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

James Bell