Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Failed drug test.

Question
On January 7, 2013 I enlisted into the marines, went through MEPS and everything and was in DEP since I was in high school. Later on I got a letter in the mail saying I tested positive for marijuana which shocked me considering I don't smoke and tested negative on two other tests before going to MEPS. I do not take part in any drugs and have never had any police involvement. The letter also said my processing will resume in febuary of 2013. I waited until January 14th of this year to reapply but they denied me. I was wondering if there was some sort of waiver or drug screening I could go through to allow me to enlist. Is all hope lost for me and the marines? In the military? Can I get a lawyer? Can a hair follicle test prove I don't use drugs? If the marines won't accept me will any branch? I understand the military has a zero tolerance for drug use and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to prove I don't do any drugs. I really want this, the military is all I've ever wanted since I was a kid. Thank you in advance.

Answer
Have you worked with your recruiter about this?  While extremely rare, mistakes can happen.   

Typically you have to wait from 6 months to a year to reapply to other branches.  You can get a lawyer but IMO it would likely be a waste of money, since its now your word against theirs.  Still, if you believe that strongly it might be worth a shot.  

You need to talk with the recruiter and see what THEY say first and foremost.  I can't believe you were notified by letter and nothing else happened.  

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

Jason Grabill