Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Failed drug test- false positive ?

On January 7, 2013 I enlisted into the marines, went through MEPS and everything and was in DEP since I was in high school. Later on I got a letter in the mail saying I tested positive for marijuana which shocked me considering I don't smoke and tested negative on two other tests before going to MEPS. I do not take part in any drugs and have never had any police involvement. The letter also said my processing will resume in febuary of 2013. I waited until January 14th of this year to reapply but they denied me. I was wondering if there was some sort of waiver or drug screening I could go through to allow me to enlist. Is all hope lost for me and the marines? In the military? Can I get a lawyer? Can a hair follicle test prove I don't use drugs? If the marines won't accept me will any branch? I understand the military has a zero tolerance for drug use and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to prove I don't do any drugs. I really want this, the military is all I've ever wanted since I was a kid. Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately, the military does not accept any positive drug tests at meps and currently will not allow any waivers.  There is no process in place to challenge the results.  Sometimes, the navy and USMC allow waivers, but the Army and Air Force do not.

There is no way around the regulation at this point, but the rules do change time to time depending on the needs of the nation.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.  

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L

I am a National Guard Recruiting NCOIC, been doing recruiting jobs for the military for over 12 years and am a subject matter expert on qualifications for National Guard and Army ( as we use the same regulation) and I keep up to date on other services regulations as well. In my job, I process questionable applicants and determine eligibility, I process waivers of all types and know the regulations inside and out. I will not sugar coat my answers to you. They are usually short and to the point. If you need more in depth, ask me. Because each situation is different, alot of times you need to actually talk to a recruiter and let them evaluate your situation in person, by looking at your documents, issues etc. If I suggest this, it would be in your best interest to do so. Finally...thank you for your interest in serving this great nation of ours. Very few people can actually make the cut to serve let alone choose to do so. So thank you for wanting to and hopefully you will get a chance. Whatever branch you choose, thank you and good luck.

18 years Guard experience, combat missions and homeland missions. 12 years recruiting. I have been a platoon sergeant and squad leader. Mentor to new recruiters and recruits.

Recruiters course and advanced courses in recruiting